Asparagus is not a typical vegetable to be prepared with mushroom sauce, but one that works surprisingly well together. When asparagus is in season, be sure to grab a bundle or two and make this easy and delicious stir fry. Once the mise en place is done, cooking should take at most 10 minutes.
If you notice from my photo, I cut my asparagus with a roll cut. I learn this from a Japanese cook book, and the official term is 乱切り(rangiri), where you cut cylindrical ingredient (so asparagus is perfect) diagonally and rotating with each cut. You don’t have to do this of course, just cut the asparagus into 2″ sections and you will do fine.
If you don’t like asparagus, or if it is not in season, you can use other vegetables like brussels sprouts, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, green beans, etc. White/brown button mushroom can be substituted with shiitake, shimeji, or oyster mushroom. To me, this is a pretty versatile dish, and since I am using mushroom sauce instead of oyster sauce, this dish is not only vegetarian friendly, but is also vegan friendly and gluten-free. Of course, if you are not preparing this for vegetarian/vegan eaters, feel free to use oyster sauce.
- 1 bunch (450 gram) asparagus
- 250 gram white/brown button mushroom
- 4 tablespoon oil, divided
- 50 gram shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½" ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon mushroom sauce (*)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon corn starch
- 4 tablespoon water
- Trim asparagus, and cut into 2" sections. I cut with the roll cut technique, but you can use any cut you like, like diagonal, or straight cut. Washed and drained. Set aside.
- Wipe mushroom clean with a clean kitchen towel to remove dirt. Cut each into 4 sections. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok/frying pan over high heat. Sauté shallot and asparagus until the edges of asparagus brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside in a plate.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil in the wok/frying pan, cook mushroom and ground pepper together until mushroom is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Return asparagus and shallot to the wok/frying pan and reduce heat to medium. Add 1 tablespoon oil, along with garlic and ginger. Mix well, cook 1 minute.
- Pour the sauce into wok/frying pan. Stir to coat the vegetables. Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate, and serve immediately.