Northern California is experiencing major heatwave in these past few days. The temperature exceeds 38 Celsius (100 Fahrenheit) for 3 days now, and I have no mood to stand in the kitchen. With that in mind, I will share this really quick and delicious stir fry with you, butter garlic soy sauce shimeji stir fry.
Shimeji (Beech Mushroom)
I love Asian mushrooms, and it is one of my favorite thing to stock up whenever I visit Asian grocery. If you have never tried shimeji before, you are missing out, and I think they look super cute too 🙂 They come in white and brown, and since shimeji is the main ingredient, I think using both varieties lends the dish a pretty color combo. You don’t need to do much to the mushroom, just trim off the root part (like enoki if you ever tried that), and tear off individual mushroom stalks so they don’t all bunch up together. If I see any dirt, I usually just wipe them off with a wet kitchen town since it’s always better not to submerge mushroom in water anyway.
5 Minutes Stir Fry
Once your prep work is done, the dish should be ready in no time. Just melt butter over medium high heat, then add shimeji and cook for a couple of minutes at most. Next comes the garlic, this only needs a quick 30 seconds in the pan. And lastly, all the seasoning, meaning soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Voila! You have a quick and delicious mushroom dish. If you want, you can pair this with a plate of pasta too for a quick weekday meal.
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 pack (3.5 oz./100 gram) white shimeji, remove root and tear into pieces
- 1 pack (3.5 oz./100 gram) brown shimeji, remove root and tear into pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Heat butter in a frying pan over medium high heat. Once the butter melts, add shimeji to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic into the pan, mix well and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, salt, and ground white pepper. Once the sauce is dry, turn off the heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve the shimeji stir fry immediately garnished with thinly sliced scallion.