Those who love chocolate and cream cheese are going to love this bread. The bread dough is based on killer toast, with cream cheese and cocoa powder added to the dough making it creamy and chocolatey. Then I chop up one whole bar of Ghirardelli white chocolate and stuff into each portion of bread, a real treat for chocolate lover.
Anyway, this is really really similar to my previous recipe of Cream Cheese Killer Toast Bread. The dough is practically the same, with an addition of 10 gram of cocoa powder. The rest of the steps for the dough is exactly the same.
I use white chocolate as filling simply for color contrast reason, so when I bite into the chocolate bread, I get to see white chocolate filling inside chocolate bread. If you prefer using dark chocolate, feel free to use your favorite dark chocolate.
I don’t know if you can see from the photo below, but bread made with killer toast recipe is really soft and really fluffy. Those who love bread sold in any Asian bakery is going to love this bread, and if this is you, do give the recipe a try.
- 120 gram warm milk (38 Celsius/100 Fahrenheit)
- 3 gram active dry yeast
- 5 gram sugar
- 260 gram all purpose flour (or bread flour)
- 10 gram cocoa powder
- 25 gram sugar
- 2 gram salt
- 60 gram cream cheese, room temperature
- 30 gram butter, room temperature
- 1 bar white chocolate (4 oz/113 gram), chop into chunks
- egg wash (1 egg + 1 teaspoon water)/milk wash
- simple syrup (1 tablespoon sugar + 1 tablespoon hot water)
- Mix warm milk with active dry yeast and 5 gram sugar. Let sit until foamy, about 20 minutes.
- Mix together all purpose flour (or bread flour), cocoa powder, 25 gram sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well, then pour yeast solution, cream cheese, and butter. Knead until dough is non-sticky, elastic, soft, and smooth. Hand knead is about 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 portions. Shape each into a ball. Flatten the dough, stuff with some white chocolate, seal by pinching the edges and reshape into a ball. Place into a greased 20" square baking pan.
- Cover with a wet kitchen towel/saran wrap. Proof until the volume is doubled, about 1 hour in a warm kitchen.
- Preheat oven 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Brush the top of bread with egg wash (1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, mix together), or milk wash (just some milk). Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush the top of baked bread with simple syrup.