Perkedel (Indonesian deep fried potato fritters) is one of my favorite side dish slash snack. These fritters are quite easy to make at home, the basic recipe requires only potatoes, some aromatic greens (e.g. scallion, Chinese celery, and/or cilantro), egg, salt, pepper, and oil. Of course, I love to amp up the flavor with deep fried shallot (bawang goreng) and nutmeg. Then, the patties are coated with egg and bread crumbs to give a satisfying crunchy skin.
Mashed potatoes, many ways
The first step in making perkedel is to prepare mashed potatoes. The traditional way is to fry potato wedges until golden brown, then mashed. If you want to avoid frying in the early stage, you can always try boiling or steaming, but I think frying gives a superior result. Once you have mashed potatoes, you can start making the fritters.
Potato fritter mixture and deep frying
To make the fritter mixture, mix together mashed potato with egg, salt, sugar, nutmeg (optional, but so delicious), black pepper, Chinese celery (you can use regular celery too, just chop it super fine), scallion, and deep fried shallot (or raw shallot, though deep fried ones will taste better). Then, heat enough oil for deep frying. Meanwhile, divide fritter mixture into 8-10 portions and shape each into a patty. Once the oil is hot, dip each potato patty into lightly beaten egg and coat with panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 500 gram potato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg (Indonesian: bubuk pala)
- 2-3 stalks of Chinese celery (Indonesian: daun seledri), thinly sliced (*)
- 1 scallion (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon deep fried shallot (Indonesian: bawang goreng)
- oil for deep frying
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium high heat, add potato wedges into the hot skillet and cook until golden brown.
- Transfer potato into a mixing bowl, mash with potato masher/fork, then mix with egg, salt, ground black pepper, sugar, grated nutmeg, Chinese celery, scallion, and deep fried shallot.
- Divide potato mixture into 8-10 portions and shape each into patty.
- Heat enough oil in a wok/pot for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot (about 170 Celsius / 340 Fahrenheit), dip each potato patty into egg and coat with panko. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown, set aside over a wire rack/strainer to remove excess oil. Serve hot.