What is the best way to enjoy kabocha you ask? Well, make them into hearty soup perfect for the cooler months. Also, this kabocha soup with dumplings should be filling enough if you want to have this as quick lunch. The pairing of smooth silky soup and the chewy dumplings goes really well. If dumpling is not your thing, some crusty baguette should do the trick.
This soup calls for only a handful of ingredients: kabocha flesh, water, soy milk (or regular milk if you are not vegan), sugar, and white miso paste. If you don’t have white miso paste, you can use red miso paste too, but I think the white one works better for this soup.
Glutinous Rice Flour Dumplings
Despite the name, glutinous rice flour dumplings are totally gluten-free. Each batch of glutinous rice flour requires slightly different amount of water to knead. Start by adding half the stated amount, and really slowly add tablespoon by tablespoon to get the dough to the softness of your earlobe. Roll the dough into 15-16 round balls and use your index finger to make an indentation at its center. Simply boil in hot water until the dumplings float, and then cook another minute, and they are done.
Kabocha Soup with Dumplings Recipe
- 300 gram kabocha meat, cut into cubes
- 300 ml water
- 100 ml soy milk
- 1-2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon white miso paste
- 100 gram glutinous rice flour
- ~ 150-200 ml water
- thinly sliced scallions
- Boil together kabocha and water in a soup pot. Once the kabocha is tender, transfer kabocha and water to a blender, along with soy milk and sugar. Puree until smooth.
- Return kabocha puree to soup pot and return to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, add miso paste to the hot soup and stir to dissolve.
- Place glutinous rice flour in a mixing bowl. Gradually add water and knead until the dough is as soft as earlobe. Roll the dough into about 15-16 balls. Use your index finger to make an indentation at the center of each ball.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. Drop the glutinous rice dumplings into boiling water. Once the dumplings float, let it boil for another minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Divide the soup into 3-4 bowls, top each with 3-4 dumplings. Serve hot with thinly sliced scallions.