Gaaah, this heat wave is killing me. How can the temperature hover above 100 Fahrenheit for days and days? Plus, my current rental has no AC, so it’s been such a torture. With that in mind, let’s make some quick stir fry so I can get out from the kitchen ASAP. Today I am sharing this super easy, super healthy, vegan, and gluten free maple syrup soy sauce zucchini stir fry.
Zucchini and Prep Work
Summer = Zucchini. So go grab some from grocery/farmers market/your own garden/your neighbor’s garden (ask for permission first!). Then, you need some shallot, garlic, chili for aromatics. You will also need maple syrup and soy sauce. If you are not restricted to a vegan diet, feel free to use honey instead of maple syrup. And lastly for garnish, some thinly sliced scallions, roughly chopped cilantro, and a couple of thin wedges of lime.
Let’s Get Cooking
Once prep work is done, it’s time to heat up some oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add shallot and sauté a bit for 2 minutes, then add garlic and chili, this time sauté for 30 seconds. Next, add zucchini and sauté for 2 minutes. Finally, pour soy sauce and maple syrup/honey, and continue cooking until the sauce is reduced and glaze the zucchini. Turn heat off, transfer zucchini to serving plate, and garnish. Done! If nothing goes wrong, you should be stepping away from the hot stove in under 10 minutes.
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 50 gram shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red fresno chilies, seeded and sliced
- 500 gram zucchini, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup/honey
- thinly sliced scallions (~ 1 tablespoon)
- roughly chopped cilantro (~ 1 tablespoon)
- lime wedges, from ¼ lime
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, sauté shallot for 2 minutes, then add garlic and chilies and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the zucchini wedges and sauté for 2 minutes, then pour the soy sauce and maple syrup/honey, and continue cooking until sauce is dry and coats/glazes the zucchini.
- Turn the heat off, transfer to a serving plate and garnish. Serve with steamed white rice.