I love these nori spinach rolls because they are super easy to make, packed with all the good vitamin and minerals, and also vegan friendly and completely gluten free. You need only two ingredients: fresh baby spinach and roasted nori sheets. The sauce is equally simple to make, requiring only soy sauce, mirin, sugar, and toasted sesame seeds.
I buy my baby spinach from Costco, and they come in a 2.5 lb bag. And we are going to use the whole bag to make these rolls. Heat a skillet over medium high heat, and meanwhile wash and drain the spinach. Since it is an impossibility to find a skillet large enough to hold all 2.5 lb of spinach in one go, you will definitely need to cook them in batches. Simply add the washed and drained spinach into the hot skillet, and cook just until wilted, with nothing added, no oil, no salt, none! Gently squeeze out as much water as possible from the cooked spinach and they are ready.
Nori Spinach Rolls
To make nori spinach rolls, take a sheet of nori and place over a sushi mat, then top with enough spinach on top of the rolls (imagine making sushi, but without the rice). Gently roll into a log and set aside, repeat until all the spinach is used up. You should get about 6-7 rolls in total. Just prior to serving, cut each roll into 6 pieces, and serve with the sauce.
- 2.5 lb baby spinach, washed and drained
- 6-7 toasted nori sheets
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Once it is hot, add spinach and cook until wilted, set aside.
- Squeeze out as much water as possible from the cooked spinach.
- Take a sheet of nori and place on top of sushi mat, add enough spinach on top of the nori, and roll into a log.
- Prior to serving, cut each of the nori spinach roll into 6 pieces, and serve with the sauce.