You can treat this roast potato with garlic lemon aioli as snack food (i.e. Spanish tapas), as a lovely side dish with your steak/main dish, or even mix with some greens to make a delicious salad (treat the aioli as dressing, though you may need double amount for salad).
Roast Some Potatoes and Garlic Cloves
First order of business is to preheat your oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit). Next proceed to clean 2 pounds (900 gram) of potatoes (no need to peel), and cut them into an inch chunks. Mix the potato chunks with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Grab 8 cloves of garlic (with peels on) and scatter them also on the baking sheet. Bake until potatoes are crispy on the outside, and tender on the inside. Depends on how large you cut your potatoes, this may take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour. Don’t forget to flip the potatoes twice during baking.
Near the end of baking time, start prepare the aioli. The classic sauce is mayonnaise based, but I have tried it with sour cream and greek yoghurt to great result. So feel free to use whichever one you have. Simply add mayonnaise, olive oil, dijon mustard, salt, and lemon juice to a bowl. Once the potatoes and garlic are out from the oven, take the roasted garlic cloves out, remove the peels, crush the garlic and add them to the sauce. Mix everything and you should have a lovely aioli sauce.
- 900 gram (2 lbs) potato, cleaned and cut into 1" chunks/wedges (no need to peel)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 cloves garlic (no need to peel)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit).
- Mix together potato chunks/wedges with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Scatter garlic cloves on the baking sheet.
- Bake on preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the potatoes are crispy on the outside and tender inside. Flip twice during baking.
- Remove the peels from baked garlic, place the garlic in a bowl and crush.
- To the garlic bowl, add mayonnaise, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard. Mix well.
- Serve the roasted potatoes with aioli sauce.