Sometimes traditional snacks can be very satisfying and delicious, like this sweet potato balls, or bola-bola ubi as we call it in Indonesian. You will need sweet potato, tapioca starch, and sugar. That’s it! Oh, and you will need oil for deep frying. So, this simple snack is perfect for vegans, for those who need gluten-free food, and for those who have nuts/eggs/dairy allergy. Great right?
First, peel sweet potato (maybe 1 or 2) to get 500 gram of sweet potato, sans skin. Cut into wedges, and steam until soft enough to mash. Steaming time depends on how large your sweet potato wedges, but mine took about 15 minutes. Next, mash the sweet potato (using fork is okay), add in 75 gram tapioca starch and 50 gram sugar, stir really well. Place this mixture in the fridge until cool enough to touch.
Heat enough oil for deep frying on medium heat. Prepare some tapioca starch in a bowl for dusting. Next, grab a tablespoonful of sweet potato mixture, drop this into the bowl with tapioca starch to give a thin coat of starch to the sweet potato mixture, shape it into a ball, then deep fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat until all sweet potato mixture is used up. Serve hot.
- 500 gram sweet potato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 75 gram tapioca starch
- 50 gram sugar
- enough oil for deep frying
- Steam sweet potato until soft enough to mash, about 15 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potato in a mixing bowl, add tapioca starch and sugar. Mix well. Chill in the fridge until cool enough to touch.
- Prepare enough oil for deep frying, set the heat to medium.
- Prepare a bowl of tapioca starch.
- Take a tablespoonful of mashed sweet potato, drop it into the bowl of tapioca starch to coat, shape the tapioca starch coated mashed sweet potato into a round ball, then deep fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Repeat until all mashed sweet potato is used up.
- Serve hot.