Summer is time for quick and easy dishes, and this veggies deluxe Chinese steamed tofu egg not only fits the bill, but is also super healthy. Once you have a block of silken tofu and 2 eggs, you can pretty much make this dish with whatever vegetables you have at home. I added carrot, shiitake, and scallions in this recipe, but you are free to use your favorite vegetables combo.
As shown in the ingredients shot, place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, then crush the tofu and combine with the rest of the ingredients into a uniform mixture. Then, pour the tofu egg mixture into a steamer proof dish, and finally steam over medium high heat for 10 minutes. Please remember to use a steamer friendly dish, such as a 9″ glass pie dish or an 8″ square glass dish.
This dish is best when served with steamed white rice. And since it is so delicious, between me and my husband, we can easily devour this in one seating. When making this for a company, definitely try to double or triple the batch.
- 25 gram dried shiitake, re-hydrate and diced (*)
- 100 gram carrot, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 block silken tofu (about 400 gram)
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Prepare a steamer over medium high heat.
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl into a uniform mixture, then pour into a steamer proof dish (e.g. any of Pyrex baking dishes).
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove from steamer, discard the aluminum foil, serve warm with steamed white rice.