It’s summer time in California, this means we are blessed with plentiful Haas Avocado this time of year. And if you are a big lover of Mexican food, you will want to keep making guacamole all summer long. If I can, I would want to keep making this all year long, but avocado can be a bit more expensive when not in season. What can be nicer than a big bowl of guacamole accompanied with a bag of tortilla chips?
Avocado, Tomato, and ...
One must have some fresh and ripe avocados for guacamole. You will also need some tomatoes (preferably Roma), garlic, onion, jalapeno (optional, but I love it), cilantro, and lime. For seasoning, you only need salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
Chopping, Dicing, Folding, ...
There is no cooking involved, just a bit of knife work is all. First, half each avocado, remove the seeds, peel away the skin, and place the avocado meat in a large mixing bowl. Next, juice the lime and add it to the avocado, toss well to coat, and drain extra lime juice. Remember to reserve a tablespoon of excess lime juice for later. Season avocado with salt, cumin, and cayenne, then mash the avocado with fork/potato masher. Finally, fold in tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, garlic, cilantro, and the reserved tablespoon of lime juice. Let the guacamole sit at room temperature for one hour prior to serving. Go wild with some tortilla chips!
Alton Brown Guacamole
- 3 Haas avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Place avocado meat and lime juice in a large mixing bowl and toss to coat. Drain excess lime juice, and reserve 1 tablespoon for later.
- Season avocado with salt, cumin, and cayenne, then mash with a fork/potato masher.
- Fold in tomato, jalapeno, onion, garlic, cilantro, and 1 tablespoon of reserved lime juice from step 1. Let the guacamole sit at room temperature for one hour prior to serving.