Banana cream cheese chocolate chips bread rolls. Just reading the title out loud makes my mouth waters, and if only I can share the smell through this post, I would. This bread makes my entire house smells so good, on the day when it baked and for half a day on the next! Also, it’s so soft and fluffy even on the next day without reheating or anything.
The Filling: Banana Cream Cheese
I have three super ripe bananas, bordering throwing into the dust bin kinda ripe. So, I decided to make them into banana cream cheese filling. Mix together 3 ripe bananas (300 gram total) and 200 gram cream cheese with electric mixer, then chill it in the fridge while we prepare the bread dough.
Bread Dough: Killer Toast
I am using my trusted killer toast recipe for the bread dough. Actually, I am doubling it this time since I have quite a bit of filling and one portion of the dough is simply not enough. My usual dough process is like this: first, mix warm milk with yeast and sugar and let it froth; meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl, and weigh the required butter and take out the eggs from the fridge. Once the yeast solution is foamy, which usually takes about 10 minutes, I start kneading the bread. Make a well in the flour, pour yeast solution and egg, knead until elastic (about 10-15 minutes). Next, add the butter into the dough, and knead until fully incorporated (non-oily), elastic, non sticky, smooth, soft (another 10-15 minutes).
Assembling the Bread
Roll the dough into a rectangle (about 10"x15"), doesn’t need to be exact, and most of the time I don’t even bother to measure the exact length anyway. Then spread the banana cream cheese filling, and scatter with chocolate chips (about 1/2 cup to 1 cup, depends on how chocolatey you want it to be). Gently roll into a log, like making cinnamon rolls. The filling is not terribly thick, so it can get messy, but don’t worry about it. Cut the log into 12 equal pieces, and place in a greased 9"x13" baking dish. If there is any runaway filling, just return them as best as you can into the dough. Let the dough rise for about 1 hour in a warm kitchen. By the end of the rising time, the dough should expand to fully fill the entire baking dish. Bake in the oven (350 Fahreheit/180 Celsius) for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Banana Cream Cheese Chocolate Chips Bread Rolls
- Banana Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 very ripe banana (~300 gram)
- 200 gram cream cheese
- Killer Toast Bread Dough
- 240 gram warm milk (38 Celsius/100 Fahrenheit)
- 6 gram active dry yeast
- 10 gram sugar
- 520 gram all purpose flour (or bread flour)
- 50 gram sugar
- 4 gram salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 60 gram butter, room temperature
- 1/2-1 cup chocolate chips
- egg wash (1 egg + 1 teaspoon water)/milk wash
- Banana Cream Cheese Filling
- Beat together banana and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Chill in the fridge while we prepare the dough.
- Bread Dough
- Mix warm milk with active dry yeast and 10 gram sugar. Let sit until foamy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix together all purpose flour (or bread flour), 50 gram sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well, then pour yeast solution, eggs, and butter. Knead until dough is non-sticky, elastic, soft, and smooth. Hand knead is about 20-30 minutes.
- Bread Rolls
- Roll the dough into a rectangle (10"x15"), spread with banana cream cheese filling, and scatter with chocolate chips.
- Gently roll into a log on the long side, then cut into 12 pieces, and arrange on a greased 9"x13" baking dish. Since the filling is quite runny, if any get squeezed out while cutting the log, just return it back to the dough as best as you can.
- Cover with a wet kitchen towel/saran wrap. Proof until the volume is doubled, about 1 hour in a warm kitchen.
- Preheat oven 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Brush the top of bread with egg wash, and bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.