Brussels sprouts is best when sautéed, roasted, or grilled. For a quick side dish, my typical route is to trim and cut each sprout into two halves lengthwise, then fry in my cast iron skillet, cut-side down until charred. When I don’t want anything fussy, I stop at this step and just simply season with salt, pepper, and a dash or two of garlic powder and the family will gobble it all up. Sometimes, I will try creating some simple sauce to go with it such as this simple Thai sweet chili sauce.
Easy Thai sweet chili sauce
For a 500 gram (slightly more than 1 pound) of brussels sprouts, you will need to prepare a sauce that is a mixture of:
- 3 tablespoon of Thai sweet chili sauce,
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce (or sambal oelek),
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and
- 1 tablespoon mushroom sauce.
For carnivores, you can use oyster sauce instead of mushroom sauce.
Once the brussels sprouts are cooked (whether it’s stove-top sautéed or oven roasted), transfer them into a mixing bowl. Pour the sauce mixture into the mixing bowl, and gently toss to coat the cooked brussels sprouts. Taste test and adjust the spiciness level by adding more garlic chili sauce (or sambal oelek) as needed, but I think 1 tablespoon hits just the right level of spiciness. Enjoy straight away!
Brussels Sprouts with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
- 500 gram brussels sprouts, trimmed and halves lengthwise
- oil, for stove-top sautéeing or for oven roasting
- Sauce (mix the following together)
- 3 tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce (or sambal oelek)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mushroom sauce
- Going with stove-top: Heat 3 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add brussels sprouts into the pan, cut side down. Cover the pan with a lid, and cook until the bottom (cut-side) is charred and the sprouts are tender but still crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer cooked sprouts to a mixing bowl.
- Going with oven-roasting: Preheat oven to 220 Celsius (425 Fahrenheit). Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. Toss brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon oil, then spread the sprouts on the prepared baking pan, and roast in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cooked sprouts to a mixing bowl.
- Pour sauce over the cooked brussels sprouts. Gently toss to coat. Add more garlic chili sauce (or sambal oelek) if you prefer a spicier kick. Serve immediately.