Cucumber and Wakame Sunomono
- 1 english cucumber
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon dried wakame
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon mirin (or sugar)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon gari (pickled ginger)
- For the cucumber: Peel away 4 strips from the cucumber to make stripes pattern. Cut into thin slices. Place the cucumber in a mixing bowl, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt, then gently massage into the cucumber. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Wash under running water, drain, and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- For the wakame: Soak dried wakame in plenty of cold water for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander/strainer, then pour some hot water, then rise again under cold running water. Squeeze out as much water as possible.
- For the dressing: Place rice vingar, soy sauce, and mirin (or sugar) in a small sauce pot and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Let it cool.
- To assemble, place cucumber and wakame in a mixing bowl, pour the dressing, and mix well. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, and mix again. Divide into 4 servings, and top each with some slivers of gari. Serve immediately.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.