Indonesian Marbled Spiced Eggs
- 12 eggs, hard boiled (shell intact)
- 2 bags/pouched black tea
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 50 gram shallots, minced
- 2 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised
- 600 ml water
- 1 tablespoon Indonesian sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- Make hard-boiled egg. The most straightforward way to make hard-boiled eggs is to place cold raw eggs in a pot, top with 2 inches of tap water, then bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Then turn off the heat, cover the pot, and wait 12 minutes. Immediately drain and wash the eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle. And they are done!
- Prepare the eggs. Since we want a marbled pattern, we will need to create cracks on the eggshells. Do this by gently tapping the shell of each hard-boiled eggs with the back of a spoon to create cracks.
- Braise with spices and herbs. Place the cracked hard-boiled eggs and the rest of the ingredients in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and keep cooking until the sauce is reduced. About 2 hours.
- Remove the shells and serve. Turn off heat, remove the eggs from the broth. Once cool enough to handle, peeled the shells to reveal pretty marble patterns. Served immediately.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.