Sticky Rice Cake with Red Bean Paste
- Red Bean Paste
- 125 gram azuki bean
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoon butter
- Sticky Rice Dough
- 250 gram white sticky (glutinous) rice flour
- 50 gram mashed potato (*)
- 50 gram powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- enough water to knead the dough
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds, for coating
- Red Bean Paste
- Wash and drain azuki bean. Place the beans in a pot. Add enough water to top the beans by another 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil, cover the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until all the liquid has evaporate, at which time the beans should have become soft and crumbling. If not, add a little more water and continue cooking until the beans are soft and crumbling. Remember that there shouldn't be any water left since we want to make this into bread filling.
- Transfer the cooked beans into a food processor/blender. Puree into a smooth paste.
- Return the paste back into the pot. Add sugar and butter.
- Turn the heat on, stir and cook until all the sugar and butter has dissolved and incorporated into the beans. Transfer into a mixing bowl and chill until needed.
- Sticky Rice Cakes
- Place sticky rice flour, mashed potato, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add water to the bowl and knead into a soft, smooth, and non-sticking dough. The texture should resembles your ear lobe. I use about 1 cup of water, you may need slightly more or less. Be extra careful near the end since even an additional 1 tablespoon of water can make the dough too sticky. If this happens, add another tablespoon of sticky rice flour and knead again to adjust the stickiness. Cover the mixing bowl with a wet kitchen towel to prevent the dough from drying.
- Take 20 gram of dough, divide into two and shape each into a round ball and flatten into a round disc. Sandwich a teaspoon of red bean paste filling between the two round discs, and seal the edges by gently pinching the edges of top and bottom dough discs. Gently shape the cake into nice looking round disc cake and coat with sesame seeds. Repeat until the dough is used up.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil on medium heat on a non-stick frying pan or a well seasoned cast iron skillet (I prefer the skillet), fry both sides of the cakes until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes each side. Serve hot.
- If there are any leftover, reheat them by frying the cakes for 1-2 minutes in a frying pan/skillet on medium heat.
- (*) Optional, you can sub with more sticky rice flour.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.