Buttermilk Walnut Cake
- Buttermilk cake
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 gram (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature (Note 1)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 180 gram (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Walnut topping
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 75 gram (~ 6 tablespoon) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (Note 2)
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit (180 Celsius). Line an 8-inch square cake pan, or a 9-inch round cake pan, with parchment paper.
- Cake batter: In a mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until smooth. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Sift in all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Use the lowest speed setting to mix. Stop once you no longer see flour streaks.
- Bake the cake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is set and golden brown.
- Prepare walnut topping: Towards the end of the baking time, prepare the walnut topping. Stir melted butter and brown sugar, add milk and salt, and stir until well combined. Add chopped walnuts and mix well.
- Add topping: Pour the walnut topping on the cake and gently spread into an even layer across the cake surface.
- Bake with topping: Bake the cake again for another 10 minutes.
- Cool the cake: Remove the cake from the oven. The topping will be runny at this point. Set the cake aside in its pan until the topping set.
- Serve: Gently remove the cake from the cake pan, and cut into 16 serving slices and serve.
- (1) Or use 1/2 cup yogurt and 1/2 cup milk.
- (2) Or use pecans, almonds, a mix of nuts, or even pumpkin seeds.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.