Cucumber and Tofu Stir-Fry
- 2 large (~ 450 gram / 1 lb) cucumber
- 1 block (450 gram / 1 lb) firm/extra-firm tofu
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, separate whites from greens
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon chili (red-pepper) flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- Prep cucumber: Peel each cucumber in alternating stripes, cut into two halves, remove the seeds, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces at a diagonal.
- Mix cucumber slices and a teaspoon of salt in a mixing bowl. Rest 15 minutes, or until the cucumbers are wet and pliable to the touch. Rinse the cucumber under cold running water to remove the salt, strain, pat dry, and set aside.
- Prep tofu: Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Fry with two tablespoon of oil in a frying pan until golden brown and set aside.
- Mix sauce: Stir together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Stir-fry: Heat a wok over medium-high heat. When the wok is hot, add a tablespoon of oil and swirl around to coat the wok. Add garlic and white part of scallions and sauté for 15 seconds. Add cucumbers and fry for 2 minutes. Finally, add fried tofu, sauce, salt, pepper, and the green part of scallions (reserving a tablespoon for garnish). Stir for 1 minute, or until the sauce becomes thick and coats the cucumber and tofu.
- Serve: Turn off the heat, and transfer the dish to a serving bowl. Garnish with scallions.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.