- 1 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 onion, quartered
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- enough oil for deep frying
- Soak chickpeas: Put chickpeas in a large mixing bowl, top with enough water to cover the beans by 4 inches, and soak for 24 hours. You may need to add more water during soaking to keep the beans covered.
- Pulse the ingredients: Drain chickpeas and transfer to a food processor with the remaining ingredients, except the oil. Pulse until minced but not pureed into a smooth paste. Refrain from adding any water to prevent the mixture from becoming too wet.
- Shape falafels: Scoop out heaping tablespoons of chickpeas mixture and shape into balls. I use a medium-size cookie scoop for convenience.
- Deep fry falafels: Put about 2-3 inches of oil in a pot for deep frying. Once the oil is hot (~ 180 Celsius/350 Fahrenheit), fry falafels until golden browned, about 5 minutes per batch.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.