Honey Glazed Cardamom Ginger Pear Cake
- 3 medium-size pears, ripe but firm (Note 1)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 large-size eggs
- 3/4 cup (150 gram) sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup (120 gram) all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (8 tablespoon) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup ground almond/almond meal (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit (180 Celsius). Grease the sides of an 8-inch round cake pan. Make sure the pan has a minimum height of 2 inches. The pan in the photos has a 3 inches height.
- Peel the pears, cut each into two halves, and core to remove seeds. Place pear halves along with honey, grated ginger, and crushed cardamom pods in a frying pan. Cook on medium heat until the honey is boiling. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Set aside to let the pears steeped in the flavored honey for another 15 minutes.
- Arrange the pears nicely in the cake pan, with the cut side facing down. Strain the honey into the cake pan, and discard the cardamom pods.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, and vanilla until the color is pale yellow. It should take about 5 minutes with medium speed.
- Sift in all-purpose flour and salt and fold gently with a spatula. Once you no longer see streaks of flour, stir in melted butter and fold again until uniform.
- Pour the batter over the arranged pears. Sprinkle the top of the batter with ground almond (if using).
- Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes until the cake is golden brown and fully cook, or until a toothpick/skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set aside to cool the cake in the pan for 30 minutes. Gently run a thin blade along the edges to loosen the cake, and carefully invert it onto a serving plate. Serve the cake warm or cold.
- (*) Pears good for baking purposed include Bartlett, Bosc, and Anjou. The pears used in the photos are Green Anjou variety. Try choosing three similar-sized pears that will fit nicely in your cake pan.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.