Indian Butter Chickpeas
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter/ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger (~ 1 tablespoon), minced
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala (Note 1)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 400-ml can coconut milk
- 2 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained (Note 2)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Melt butter/ghee in a pot over medium heat. Sauté onion with 1/2 teaspoon salt until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne powder, garam masala, and cinnamon. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the chickpeas are tender and the sauce is thick.
- Turn off the heat, stir in half of the cilantro.
- Transfer the finished dish to a serving bowl, garnish with the remaining cilantro, and serve with steamed basmati rice or naan bread.
- (1) Or use 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon clove, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (about 3 cardamom pods).
- (2) Or use 1/2 lb of dried chickpeas, soak overnight in water, then boil until soft for about 1 hour.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.