- 5 cup (600 gram / 21.25 oz) all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoon) instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus a pinch for sprinkling
- 1 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (from about 2 sprigs)
- Sift together all-purpose flour, sugar, instant yeast, and kosher salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well, then add water and 1/2 cup olive oil. Knead with a dough attachment on low speed until the dough comes together. Increase the speed slightly to medium and knead for another 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and soft. Add a little bit of flour if the dough feels too sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead with hands into a smooth and non-sticky dough. Add more flour only if the dough feels sticky.
- Lightly coat a mixing bowl with about a teaspoon of olive oil, and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a plastic wrap/wet kitchen towel and let it rise until the volume doubles, about 1-2 hours.
- Punch the dough to release air bubbles, and knead for a couple more time.
- Coat a half sheet pan (13"x18") pan with 1/4 cup of olive oil. Transfer the dough onto the pan, flip to cover both sides of the dough with olive oil. Gently stretch the dough to fit the pan. Don't forget to use your fingers to make holes throughout the entire dough to give the characteristic craggy look of focaccia.
- Let the dough rise again until it fills up the pan. It will take about another hour for this second rise. Preheat the oven to 220 Celsius (425 Fahrenheit) near the end of the second rise.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of coarse sea salt, chopped rosemary, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the focaccia from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes in its pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut and serve once the focaccia is at room temperature.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.