Vegetarian Wonton Soup
- Vegetarian wonton
- 1 block firm tofu (about 450 gram/1 lb)
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and finely chopped
- 5 gram dried wood ear mushrooms, rehydrated and finely chopped
- 75 gram carrot, grated
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mushroom sauce (i.e. vegetarian oyster sauce)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoon mushroom granules (or salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 packs (about 120) wonton wrappers
- 2 liter (16 cups) vegetables stock (or water)
- 2 inch ginger, minced
- mushroom granules (or salt), to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon deep-fried shallot
- Vegetarian wonton
- Drain tofu. Wrap tofu with paper towels and sandwich tofu block between two plates. Place a heavy object (e.g. cast-iron skillet) on top of the plate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours to drain as much water as possible from the tofu.
- Mix and season wonton filling. In a mixing bowl, crumbled drained tofu with your fingers, then add finely chopped shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped wood ear mushrooms, grated carrot, and thinly sliced scallions. Season wtih soy sauce, mushroom sauce, sesame oil, mushroom granules (or salt), and ground white pepper. Mix well, and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Wrap wontons. Place a teaspoon of wonton filling at the center of the wrapper. Moisten the edges with water using your finger, then fold in half to form a rectangular shape. Press the edges lightly to seal. Fold the sides so the edges overlap. Wet the two closest edges where they meet and pinch to seal.
- Store extra wontons. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange wrapped wontons on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet in one layer, no touching between wontons. Place in the freezer until partially frozen, then transfer to a ziplock bag. The frozen wontons should not be sticking to one another. And when you want to use them, simply remove as many as needed from the ziplock bag, and cook without thawing.
- Wonton soup
- Boil together vegetable stock and grated ginger. Add mushroom granules (or salt) to suit your taste.
- Add wontons to the soup, and cook until wonton floats, indicating that they are fully cooked.
- Turn off the heat, add chopped scallions, chopped cilantro, and deep-fried shallot. Stir to mix, and serve immediately.
Another great recipe by https://vforveggy.com.