Easy to handle bread dough, only one proofing instead of the more common double proofing, soft, tender, fluffy, and full of buttery and cream cheese goodness.
Another bread creation based on killer toast popularized by Victoria Bakes. The wonderful thing about killer toast is bread dough needs only one proof before baking, and you will get the signature super soft fluffy bread just like the one from any Asian bakery. If you haven’t settled yet on your favorite bread dough recipe, you really must give the killer toast a try. Fair warning, if you are unused to Asian bread, this may not be your cup of Joe. I have American friends who just cannot wrap their heads around Asian bread, and if this sounds like you, this recipe probably won’t convince you.
My changes from the original killer toast recipe
As I said, I tweaked the original killer toast recipe slightly to come up with this cream cheese killer toast. I made three changes:
- cream cheese instead of egg,
- unbleached all-purpose flour instead of bread flour, the recipe should work even if you use bread flour,
- active dry yeast instead of instant yeast.
Handling the bread dough
This is a super simple bread recipe, perfect for those new to bread baking. Here are the steps:
- Once you yeast blooms, simply mix all bread ingredients and knead into a smooth and elastic dough.
- Divide the dough into 16 portions, shape each into a round ball, and arrange all the balls in a greased 20" square baking pan.
- Cover with a wet kitchen towel/saran wrap, and proof for 1 hour until the volume is doubled.
- Apply milk wash (you can use egg wash if you want), sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds, and bake in a preheated oven of 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit) for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush with simple syrup (1 tablespoon sugar + 1 tablespoon hot water). Enjoy!
Cream Cheese Killer Toast Bread
- 120 gram warm milk (38 Celsius/100 Fahrenheit)
- 3 gram active dry yeast
- 5 gram sugar
- 260 gram all-purpose flour (or bread flour)
- 25 gram sugar
- 2 gram salt
- 60 gram cream cheese, room temperature
- 30 gram butter, room temperature
- egg wash (1 egg + 1 teaspoon water)/milk wash
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- simple syrup (1 tablespoon sugar + 1 tablespoon hot water)
- Mix warm milk with active dry yeast and 5 gram sugar. Let sit until foamy, about 20 minutes.
- Mix together all-purpose flour (or bread flour), 25 gram sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well, then pour yeast solution, cream cheese, and butter. Knead until dough is non-sticky, elastic, soft, and smooth. Hand knead is about 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 portions. Shape each into a ball. Place into a greased 8" square baking pan.
- Cover with a wet kitchen towel/saran wrap. Proof until the volume is doubled, about 1 hour in a warm kitchen.
- Preheat oven 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Brush the top of the bread with egg wash (1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, mix together), or milk wash (just some milk). Sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds if you want. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Brush the top of baked bread with simple syrup.