Have you every tried deep fried nori wrapped tofu? Unlike regular fried tofu, eating into one of these babies can fool you into thinking you are eating fried fish! It’s the combination of the nori and the soy sauce marinate, and when these are fried, the tofu end up looking slightly like a piece of fish fillet, and tasting pretty close too.
Preparing the tofu and marinade
To make this awesome dish, you need to start with a block of firm tofu (14 oz/400 gram). There is no need to drain the tofu since we are going to marinade, so just cut the one block into 12 equal pieces. Next, wrap each tofu piece with nori seaweed sheet, and trim as needed, and arrange them neatly in a baking dish. The marinade is a simple mixture of soy sauce and grated garlic. Pour the marinade over the wrapped tofu, and leave in the fridge for 2 hours.
Making the batter and deep frying
Heat a pot of oil for deep frying, and make the batter. The batter is a simple mixture of cake flour and ice water. Anytime you want to make crispy batter for deep frying, make sure the water is as cold as possible. If you want to make an even more awesome batter, instead of water, try beer or soda water for a crispier result, of course make sure you chill the beer/soda water beforehand. Once the oil is hot, just coat the wrapped tofu with batter, and deep fry until golden brown.
Deep Fried Nori Wrapped Tofu
- 1 block (14 oz/400 gram) firm tofu, cut into 12 pieces
- nori sheet, as needed (about 4 sheets)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 100 gram cake flour
- 1/2 cup ice cold water (*)
- enough oil for deep frying
- Wrap each piece of tofu with nori, trim as needed, and arrange in a baking dish.
- Make marinade by mixing together soy sauce and grated garlic. Pour the marinade over the tofu and rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying in a pot/wok, and mix together cake flour and ice cold water to make batter.
- Once the oil is hot enough (about 170 Celsius/340 Fahrenheit), coat each wrapped tofu with the batter and deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve hot deep fried nori wrapped tofu with ketchup and tartar sauce.
- (*) For crispier result, use beer or soda water.