Donut muffins is one of those things people bake to stave off donuts cravings without deep frying. Let’s just be honest that this doesn’t get close to real donuts, but they are delicious in their own right. And to be honest, I think just calling these cinnamon sugar muffins is probably more appropriate. :)
Not exactly a fix for donuts
The recipe for donut muffins comes from King Arthur Flour website, and it has been my go-to recipe when I need to a quick and easy cinnamon sugar fix. I honestly think this doesn’t help at all when I am hit with donuts craving, for that, the best fix is still braving some deep frying :)
Never over mix muffins batter
The muffins recipe is very straightforward. As long as you don’t over mix the batter, they should come out fluffy and soft. If yours comes out chewy, that is a sure sign of over mixing, which leads to too much gluten develops in the batter. When it comes to muffins, it is always better to err on under mixing.
Homemade cinnamon sugar
You can buy cinnamon sugar from bake shops, but this is actually very easy to prepare at home. You need only two ingredients: cinnamon powder, and granulated sugar. The mix goes like this:
1⁄4 cup (4 tablespoons) granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
To coat the muffins with cinnamon sugar, I dip the muffin top in melted butter, and then into cinnamon sugar. Be sure to wait until the muffins cool down a bit before doing this :)
Donut Muffins (Cinnamon Sugar Muffins)
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 1/4 cup (60 gram) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (100 gram) sugar
- 1/3 cup (70 gram) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cup (320 gram) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- cinnamon sugar (from 4 tablespoon sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 220 Celsius (425 Fahrenheit), and grease a standard 12 cup muffin pan.
- Cream together butter, oil, sugar, and brown sugar. Add eggs, and bet until well mixed.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix.
- Stir in flour and milk, alternately, starting with flour, and end with flour. Don't over mix the flour, just mix until the flour is just combined.
- Divide the batter into muffin pan, they should be pretty full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a bowl, and the cinnamon sugar in a separate bowl. Dip the top of each muffin into melted butter, followed with cinnamon sugar. Enjoy :)