Egg drop soup and hot and sour soup are probably the two most popular Chinese soup in United States. Personally I prefer hot and sour soup, and although I rarely use my black vinegar for anything else, I always have a bottle stocked in my pantry to quickly whip up this soup whenever I fancy a hot bowl. There is actually no hard and fast rule regarding what vegetables to use in this soup, but my must have includes tofu and egg, everything else usually depends on what I have in my refrigerator. I am using corn and shimeji mushroom in this recipe, but this can easily be substituted with carrot, bamboo shoot, wood ear mushroom, or shiitake mushroom just to name a few.
A side note on thickener. My family always use tapioca starch as thickener, and I believe this is true for most Chinese households. In United States, tapioca starch can be easily found in Asian markets, typically sold together alongside glutinous rice flour, rice flour, mung bean starch, and potato starch. If you cannot find tapioca starch, you can also use corn starch to thicken the soup.
Chinese Hot and Sour Soup
Author: Anita Jacobson
Diets: Gluten Free
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- 5 cup vegetable stock
- 1 block firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 pack shimeji mushroom
- 4 ear fresh corns, kernel only
- 4-5 tablespoon soy sauce
- 5 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper
- 6 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 6 tablespoon water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 scallion, thinly sliced
- 4 stalk cilantro, thinly sliced
- In a soup pot, boil together vegetable stock, tofu cubes, shimeji mushrooms, and corn kernels.
- Add 4 tablespoon soy sauce, black vinegar, ground pepper, and crushed red chili pepper into the soup. Taste test and add more soy sauce if needed. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix together tapioca starch and water, and pour into the soup. Stir until the soup has thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Slowly pour beaten egg in a thin stream, wait about 5 seconds, then slowly stir so the egg become fluffy like egg drop soup.
- Serve the soup hot garnished with sliced scallion and cilantro.