Make yourself these little muffin treats with bountiful kabocha (or pumpkin/butternut squash). It has sweet cream cheese filling as a nice surprise. And the streusel topping is always a crowd favorite. If you are thinking of hosting family/friends for the coming Thanksgiving/Christmas, you can be sure these inside-out kabocha muffins will be a delicious treat for breakfast or even as dessert.
You need about 1 cup of mashed kabocha for this muffin. The easiest way is to stick about a quarter of kabocha, with skin on, but sans the seeds and pulp into the microwave. With a cooking time of about 5-7 minutes, your kabocha should be soft enough for you to easily scoop out the flesh with nothing but a spoon. Then, you just need to grab a fork and mash the kabocha flesh. For an average size kabocha, you are going to have leftover mashed kabocha, which you can use to make double batch of these lovely muffins, or transform the leftover into soup!
Kabocha Batter, Cream Cheese Filling, and Streusel Topping
You need a total of 3 bowls from start to finish. The first is to contain the kabocha muffin batter, consists of mashed kabocha, all purpose flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, egg, honey, oil, and milk. The second if for the filling, which is just a mixture of cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. The third is for the streusel topping, a simple mixture of all purpose flour, old fashion rolled oats, brown sugar, salt, and butter.
Assemble Inside-Out Kabocha Muffins
Line your standard 12 cup muffin pan with cup cake liners. First, use a medium cookie scoop (~ 1.5 tablespoon worth) to fill each cup with muffin batter. Next, drop 1 tablespoon cream cheese filling into each muffin cup. Then, use the same cookie scoop to top each of the cup with more muffin batter. Finally, cover each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of streusel topping.
Bake the Muffins
Preheat your oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit), then bake the muffins for 17-20 minutes. I usually start to check these muffins with a toothpick at around 15 minutes. On average, I get a perfect result at around 18 minutes. Since most oven temperature fluctuates slightly, be sure to start checking yours too at around 15 minutes. Once they are out from the oven, let cool completely. These are best within the first hour or two. Since it has cream cheese, make sure to refrigerate any leftovers. They only need about 15 seconds in the microwave to reheat nicely.
Inside-Out Kabocha Muffins
- Kabocha Muffin Batter (Beat together in a mixing bowl)
- 1 cup (~ 150 gram) mashed kabocha
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg + 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Cream Cheese Filling (Stir together in a mixing bowl)
- 1 package (8-ounce) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Streusel Topping (Mix together into crumbs form)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup old-fashion rolled oats
- 4 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit) and line a standard 12 cup muffin pan.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (~ 1.5 tablespoon) to drop muffin batter into each muffin cup. Add about a tablespoon of cream cheese filling to each muffin cup, and finally cover with another medium cookie scoop worth of batter to each muffin cup.
- Sprinkle each muffin with about a tablespoonful of streusel topping.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes. It is best to start checking at around 15 minutes. My average cooking time is around 18 minutes, but your oven may differ slightly.
- Remove muffins from oven. Once cool enough to handle, transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- These muffins are best within the first 2 hours. Please refrigerate any leftovers since it has cream cheese filling! You can quickly reheat the muffin in a microwave for about 15 seconds.