Some readers ask me if I have a recipe for oven baked sweet potato balls after stumbling upon my sweet potato balls recipe. Well, I have been busy experimenting various recipes, and I have finally come up with this simplest way to prepare oven baked sweet potato balls that has crispy crunch, and yet soft and tender sweet potato texture, and all with only 3 ingredients too: sweet potato, cheddar cheese, and panko.
First, steam some sweet potato (I use 250 gram after peeled) just until it is soft enough to be mashed (about 10 minutes usually). Then, mix mashed steamed potato with 75 gram grated cheddar cheese, this should turn into a workable not too sticky dough that you can roll into balls (mine is 1 tablespoon each per ball). Now, we just need to roll each ball into panko to coat, and bake in preheated oven of 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit) for about 15-20 minutes until cooked and golden brown and crispy.
For a more added kick, here is my tip. I fry 1 cup of panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) before hand with 2 tablespoon of olive oil until golden brown. Since sweet potatoes are already sweet by nature, and cheddar has only a bit of saltiness, it is always a good idea to season your panko so the sweet potato balls will be really delicious. I do this once the panko is out from frying pan, I add a bit of salt, a bit of pepper, and a bit (2 tablespoons) of grated parmesan, just adjust this to suit your taste. If you don’t have parmesan, you can also use asiago or romano. Even if you don’t have parmesan/asiago/romano, remember to season panko with salt and pepper at the very least.
Oven Baked Sweet Potato Balls
- 250 gram peeled sweet potato
- 75 gram grated cheddar cheese
- Seasoned panko
- 1 cup panko
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan (asiago/romano is okay too)
- Seasoned panko
- Fry panko with olive oil in a frying pan until golden brown. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Season fry panko wtih salt, pepper, and parmesan. Set aside.
- Oven baked sweet potato balls
- Steam sweet potato until soft enough to be mashed. Mashed the sweet potato.
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix mashed sweet potato with grated cheddar cheese into a pliable dough. Shape into 1 tablespoon balls (I got about 18 balls). Roll each ball into the panko to coat, and place on the lined baking tray.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Note that it won't look that much difference pre-baked and post-baked, but the main thing is to get the crust to be crispy since basically, everything is kinda cooked anyway even prior to sticking the balls in the oven.