If I have to pick a dish that my family loves over anything else, it is tofu. We eat tofu almost on a daily basis, every other day at the very least. Over the years, I have come up with so many tofu recipes, and this super easy pan fried tofu chives is one that anyone should be able to recreate in their kitchen.
Remember to drain your tofu
The recipe is super simple so I won’t explain much, but I want to stress the importance of draining your tofu really well. Drained tofu absorbs flavor much better, and more importantly, won’t splatter when fried. So 30 minutes before you want to cook, start wrapping the tofu with kitchen towel, then sandwich in between two plates, and place a heavy item on top of the plate, such as a cast iron skillet. After 30 minutes, you should notice liquid pools around the tofu. Just drain way the liquid, unwrap the tofu, and cut to desired pieces.
The super simple recipe
Pan Fried Tofu Chives
- Tofu chives
- 1 block (14 oz / 400 gr) firm tofu
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 chives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- enough corn starch to lightly dust the tofu
- 4 tablespoon oil
- Dipping sauce (mix the following together)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 - 4 stalks fresh coriander leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Drain tofu really well. I do this by wrapping the block of tofu with kitchen towel, place it between two plates, then place a heavy cast iron skillet on top of the plate. After 30 minutes, there should be plenty of liquid pools around the wrapped tofu. Drain away the liquid and unwrap the tofu.
- Cut the drained tofu into 12 equal pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together egg, chives, salt, and ground pepper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Lightly dust each piece of tofu with corn starch, then coat with the egg mixture, and fry until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve the fried tofu chives with dipping sauce.