When temperature rises, make this easy roast beet salad with honey lime dressing to beat off the summer heat. Beet can be eaten raw, but they are best when roasted because the flavor become more condensed and sweeter. But, if you want to skip the roasting part due to crazy summer heat, I can understand that as well.
Roast the beets
To roast your beets, first preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit) and line a loaf pan with aluminum foil. Then, place washed and cleaned beets inside the loaf pan, and cover with another piece of aluminum foil. Roast in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick can easily glide into the beet without much resistance. Once the beets are cool, gently peel the skin and dice into cubes, and place the beet cubes in a mixing bowl and chill in the refrigerator while we prepare the rest of the salad.
Make the rest of the salad and honey lime dressing
Dice about 100 gram of shallot, 2 jalapenos, and roughly chop a handful of fresh cilantro leaves and a scallions. Add these to the mixing bowl with the diced beets. For the dressing, mix together the zest and juice 2-3 limes, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper, and 1⁄4 cup honey, adjust the taste if necessary. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat everything evenly. Chill for one hour prior to serving. If you like this salad, you may also want to give these two a try: pineapple and japaleno salsa and grilled corn salad.
Roast Beet Salad With Honey Lime Dressing
- 4 medium size beets (about 500 gram), skin intact but remove leaves
- 100 gram shallot, diced
- 2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
- a handful of scallion, thinly sliced
- Honey lime dressing (mix the following together)
- 2-3 limes, zest and juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit). Line a loaf pan with aluminum foil, place beets inside the pan, then cover the pan with aluminum foil. Roast in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick can easily glides into the beets.
- Once the beets are cool enough to handle, peel the skin, and cut the beets into dices. Place diced beets in a mixing bowl. If you haven't prepared the rest of the salad, you can cool the diced beets in the fridge while you do so.
- Add scallion, jalapeno, cilantro, and scallions into the mixing bowl with the beets. Pour the honey lime dressing, toss to coat well, adjust salt/pepper if needed. Chill the salad first for about 1 hour prior to serving.