For many Indonesians, potato is considered vegetables to be served with rice. Case in point is this easy and delicious spicy braised egg & potato. This dish is quite easy to prepare, but I have to admit the ingredients list is on the long side. Don’t be discouraged though, the spices in this recipe are super common in many Indonesian dishes. If you often cook Indonesian food, those spices will be put to good use.
A Word on Chilies
Let me sum up my experience on getting my hand on fresh red chili peppers in America. If you visit regular groceries (e.g. Safeway, Kroger, Walmart, etc), more likely than not you will only be seeing jalapeno and serrano, sometimes anaheim, and in few cases, Thai bird eye chilies. Notice a pattern? Those chilies are all green! It is super hard to get fresh red chilies, and my best bet has always been to little mom-and-pop Asian groceries. Whenever I spot fresh batches of red fresno, I go full squirrel mode and just grab as much as I can to stock up. If you have a good and reliable source, please do share in comment!
Spicy Braised Egg & Potato
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 lemongrass, bruised and knotted
- 400 ml water
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 6 peeled hard boiled eggs
- 1 lb (~ 450 gram) potato, peeled and cut into large wedges
- tamarind paste (15 gram tamarind + 3 tablespoon water, mixed, massaged, strained)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Spice paste (grind the following together)
- 100 gram shallot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 5 fresno chilies
- 5 Thai red bird eye chilies (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté spice paste and lemongrass until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add water and coconut milk, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add eggs and potatoes, along with tamarind paste, salt, sugar, and ground pepper. Mix well. Cook uncovered until the sauce is thick and almost dry.
- Turn off heat, discard the lemongrass. Transfer to serving plate and serve with steamed white rice.