Do you know that you only need 4 ingredients to make teriyaki sauce? Today I am going to share a very simple tofu teriyaki & homemade teriyaki sauce recipe. Both recipes are extremely easy. And you can use your homemade teriyaki sauce for other proteins too, like chicken, or salmon.
4 ingredients teriyaki sauce
You only need mirin, sake, soy sauce, and sugar to make your very own teriyaki sauce at home.
I learned this trick years ago and since then I no longer waste any money buying bottled teriyaki sauce. Simply boil all the ingredients until thick and the sauce is done.
Bland tofu into delicious tofu teriyaki
Most people find tofu is too bland. But I think the blandness is very advantagous. It means tofu can carry any flavor we want to impart, making it one of the most versatile ingredients ever. Almost like chicken really, but for vegetarians and vegans :) You can learn how to turn a block of tofu into fried tofu from my previous post on spicy fermented soybeans fried tofu.
Tofu Teriyaki & Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 lb (450 gram) fried tofu cubes
- Homemade teriyaki sauce
- 4 tablespoon each of mirin, sake, and soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- thinly sliced scallions
- Boil together mirin, sake, soy sauce, and sugar in a frying pan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until sauce is thick.
- Add fried tofu cubes to the frying pan. Cook until teriyaki sauce glazes and coats the tofu evenly.
- Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate and garnish with scallions. Serve with steamed white rice.