If you love cauliflower, you owe it to yourself to make this vegan and gluten free oven roasted curried cauliflower and get it in your meal rotation. Not only this cauliflower dish is quick and easy, when paired with a handful of freshly chopped cilantro leaves, along with zest and juice of lemon, this dish cannot help but be a winner.
If you start with a head of cauliflower, chop it into two, then gently cut the florets from the core stem. Discard the leaves and the core stem. Most likely the florets will be too big, so cut those down into bite sizes. Place all the florets in a colander, then wash under cold running water to remove dirt, drain and dry as best as you could. In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the florets with olive oil, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Once the florets are evenly coated, transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, and spread them in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven (220 Celsius / 425 Fahrenheit) for around 30 minutes, or until some charring has developed, turning half-way so the cauliflower brown evenly.
While your oven is doing its job, you can go ahead and prep the cilantro and lemon. Wash, drain, and chop a handful of fresh cilantro leaves. Also wash, wipe, zest, and juice one lemon. Once the cauliflower is out from the oven, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Then add cilantro leaves, along with lemon zest and juice. Gently toss to mix everything, then give it a taste test, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
With easy recipe like this, you can be sure to include plenty seasonally available fresh vegetables in your daily meal, and it doesn’t have to be cauliflower. Easiest and most obvious substitute would be broccoli, but you can get creative. Curry powder goes really well with cilantro, but you can also use basil (regular Italian ones or even Thai basil). Use lime when you are out of lemon. Heck, you can even use your favorite balsamic vinegar for the tang when out of both lemon and lime.
Vegan and Gluten Free Oven Roasted Curried Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets (*)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- a handful of cilantro, chopped (**)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 220 Celsius (425 Fahrenheit).
- Wash and drain cauliflower florets, and place in a mixing bowl. Gently toss the florets together with olive oil, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet, spread out to an even layer in a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway at 15 minutes, until some charred develops.
- Transfer roasted cauliflower to a mixing bowl, gently toss with cilantro, and zest and juice of lemon. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- (*) About 3 pounds (1.5 kilogram) worth of cauliflower florets.
- (**) About 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro.